Tuesday, October 23, 2007

College Closed Until Monday

I just left the Incident Command Center at the college, and the decision has been made to close the school until at least Sunday, and at that time an assessment will be made as to whether or not we can re-open on Monday. Of course, all concerts, sports events and other performances are cancelled as well.

I can't say enough how organized and well prepared this team is. I technically am not a member of the disaster team, but sat in on the meeting in case I was needed. The meeting included the primary college leadership, campus police, facilities, IT, and the leadership from our other campuses on a conference call. Multiple contingencies have been worked out, and we are well prepared.

The evacuation shelter is blessed with few people in need, but many trying to help. All of us keep asking if there's a need for a run to Costco, or if they are missing anything. Right now they have more than enough supplies, but will keep folks posted if something comes up.

I'm on call the rest of the week, and have my cell on at my side. For anyone trying to get in touch with me, please don't call my cell phone. The mobile phone system is massively overloaded and that's the primary communication tool for the emergecy folks in the shelters and at the fire lines. Send me an e-mail, or call my parents' house....which is where I will be heading for at least a day or two.

My area is still under voluntary evacuation, with no real immediate threat. But I am surrounded by hundreds of acres of dry hills that could take a spark at any moment, so I have no need to stay here unnecesarily. As soon as the all clear goes out, I'll come home as soon as possible.....a fact that my cats, thoroughly traumatized by being surrounded by strangers and strange pets, are counting on. :)

More as I know more.

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home