Monday, October 22, 2007

Evacuated - But Safe and Sound

About 4pm this afternoon, my Aunt and Uncle were under a mandatory evacuation order out of their home in Fallbrook. The Witch Fire is the one that's closest to our homes. They loaded up my cousins, their 2 dogs, a cat and a rabbit named Cheerio and headed to my folk's house.

Two hours later, there was an announcement from Camp Pendleton that certain military barracks were under instructions to pack and be ready to go if necessary. The housing areas they named were less than 300 yards from my house, and my neighbors and I made the decision to head out. I am 99% sure that my house will be fine, but I didn't want to run the risk of getting the call to leave at 3am...where I would have to load the cats up by flashlight (power is spotty in some areas) and wake everyone up to let them know I'm coming.

My Aunt and Uncle made the decision to go out to their business in Lake Elsinore, so I actually am at my folks' house right now. All schools and colleges were closed in SD county today, and will be tomorrow as well. I am not sure what the rest of the week is going to look like. Two of our three campuses are in little/no danger. A third one is in the path of one of the fires, so all we can do is wait.

But all in our family are safe and sound, and counting our blessings. :) I'll keep you posted as best I can.

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home